Saturday 12 February 2011

How to make pearly pins & kit offer

 I arrange my beads on the pin, alternating tiny with larger ones, and mostly have the largest at the top. Some large beads will slide right off the top of the pin. You need a tiny bead, bead cap, or even a sequin to stop that. 

 Holding the pin at the bottom to stop them falling off, I add a blob of glue right at the top
 You can simply glue the very last bead on the pin, but I like to glue them all with a clear drying tacky glue (Hi-tack FAST tack glue) and then use a metal/glass glue (UHU) on the very last bead to make sure they are secure. (It stinks so have to do that bit away from my daughters sick bed).

 I twist the bead around the pin as I push it up to the top - notice there is a lot of glue squeezed up. I add another blob before the next bead and keep repeating to the end.

 As you can see there is plenty of glue in between each bead. 

So this is where you need the wet wipe. Gently remove the excess glue and leave to dry.

If gluing the whole lot with a metal/glass glue it would probably be best to clean the excess as you go along.  You can only mix a little of it at a time and have to use it up within about 5 mins. In the video link I've put below she uses Glossy Accents to secure them. 

With some of my pearly coloured pins I've been able to change the colour with my promarkers. I used sequins as spacers with some of my pins. Don't be afraid to experiment. A jump ring or two in between beads is a nice look too, or even wire wrapped tightly around the pin. If you use eye pins (they have a tiny loop at the top) you will be able to add charms to the top of the pin too using a jump ring to join them together.

Equipment needed.
Pins
Glue that will secure metal/glass/plastic
varous sized beads
Wet Wipes.

Optional extras
eye pins
silver or gold coloured spacer beads.
ditto bead caps
jump rings
bungle beads
sequins

Now for the offer (not open to those already on my list to receive made up pins).  I will give a small kit...to make 6 fancy pins.. to the first 5 followers to specifically request them in a comment. Make sure you read the comments prior to your's to see if you'll still qualify. 


A few extra pix. Thanks to my Hubby who acted as the photographic half of the tutorial team lol. 

These have bead caps 


 These are made with hat pins...they come with the tear drop bead attached. 

The box of goodies I work from...lots more beads elsewhere though. 

Tutorial I found On UTube




What and where to buy
I find the jewellery section of craft stores better......not so expensive - or as mind bogglingly confusing to beginners.
http://cuddlybuddly.com/shop/b15-flowers-decorative-embellishments-beads-buttons-glitters/325-beads-sequins/?page=2&manufacturer=31-trimits for USA

http://www.justbeads.co.uk/ for UK

http://www.art-of-craft.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=H711&ACTION=Go!&PR=-1&TB=A for the hat pins.

You could also do a google search for the following in your area.
jewellery findings/spacer beads
head pins/eyepins
bead caps
Florist supplies/corsage pins


18 comments:

Kras said...

Dear Linda, these are amazing needles. Today, your idea did shoot with pearls and secured them a card. Thanks for the lesson readings

Annemaritta said...

Hi Lin, those hatpins are {{{{{{<3}}}}}}

Margreet said...

Hi Linda....thanks for your tutorial...these are fab pins again!!!
xxx Margreet

Debra said...

Hi Linda! I am already getting a gift from you so I am not commenting to win, I did want to say thank you for the tut and WOW great job!

Dorcas said...

OK, you twisted my arm! lol These are awesome!

Larisa said...

Linda, they are cute! But the long pins.. where are they from?

Joan V said...

Hi Linda, thanks for the tutorial. Wow, you have a good stash of beads and such. I guess we all probably have some trinkets to put something together. I get inspired by others, so now I am going to go dig in my craft area to see what I have. This looks like a good project to do when the hubby wants me to be in the tv room with him. Have a great day.
Joan

Stacey G.-2 Craf-t-4u said...

Great tutorial Linda!

Flutterby Trina said...

great tutorial! cant wait to recieve my winnings from your 'pre made' give away! May have to try some my self too at some point!!! xx

Yvonne Russell said...

Hi Lindy
I would love to receive a kit to try these myself. The pins look amazing and thanks for the tutorial.

Priyanka said...

wow very interesting and its looks amazing, thanks for this tut.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- you make this look easy- I am going to give this a go! Thanks for the inspiration!

JustYolie said...

Again too late!

Nannieflash said...

Wow Linda what a fabulous tutorial and your pins look stunning. Well done with love and hugs Shirleyxxxxx

Tracey said...

What a great idea.......your pins are so pretty I could see them on one of my creations. I would love to receive some but I think I'm too late. Just wanted to comment anyway. TFS :)

The Dolphin Inn said...

Thanks for an absolutely brilliant little tutorial, love these pins ( I am going to have to give them a go) Thanks for sharing xxx

Annemaritta said...

Linda, I love you and these pins!!! Postman Pat made my day brighter today. Thank you so much. I was going to finish one wedding card with one pin, but those are so too beautiful to depart.

Debra said...

HI Linda I received the beautiful pins you made for me today in my mail! Thank you so so much! *hugs*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Lindy's Maid Wid Luv Copyright © 2010 Blog make-over by Creation Faeries